Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tax Workshop in Cincinnati on 2/26/09

I will be doing a workshop on tax issues for people with disabilities this Thursday, February 26, 2009, from 6:30 pm until 8:00 pm at the Pleasant Ridge Community Center, 5915 Ridge Road.  For more information, or to register, please call or e-mail Sue Schindler at sue@archamilton.org or 513-821-2113 x 112.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Thursday, February 19, 2009

How to respond to nasty letters from the IRS

A three-part "series" I posted on eHow may help you, if you ever get into a fix with the IRS:

Part 1 -   http://www.ehow.com/how_4792037_respond-nasty-letters-irs-part.html

Part 2 -  http://www.ehow.com/how_4792091_nasty-letters-irs-part-ii.html

Part 3 -  http://www.ehow.com/how_4792148_nasty-letters-irs-part-iii.html

I hope you never need these, but here they are, if you do.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Thursday, February 12, 2009

IRS lists some benefits for disabled taxpayers

Tax Benefits for Disabled Taxpayers

There are several tax credits and benefits available to qualifying taxpayers with disabilities as well as to the parents of disabled children. Listed below are several tax credits and other benefits available if you or someone else listed on your federal tax return is disabled.

The Earned Income Tax Credit The EITC is available to disabled taxpayers as well as to the parents of a child with a disability. The EITC is a tax credit that not only reduces a taxpayer’s tax liability but may also result in a refund. Many working individuals with a disability, who have no qualifying children, but are older than 25 and younger than 65 do, in fact, qualify for EITC. Additionally, if the taxpayer’s child is disabled, the age limitation for the EITC is waived. The EITC has no effect on certain public benefits. Any refund you receive because of the EITC will not be considered income when determining whether you are eligible for benefit programs such as Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid.

The Credit for the Elderly or Disabled
This credit may be available to taxpayers who are age 65 or older, or who are younger than 65 and are retired on permanent and total disability.

Child or Dependent Care Credit
Taxpayers who pay someone to come to their home and care for their dependent or spouse may be entitled to claim this credit. There is no age limit if the taxpayer’s spouse or dependent is unable to care for themselves.

Impairment-Related Work Expenses
Employees who have a physical or mental disability limiting their employment, may be able to claim business expenses in connection with their workplace. The expenses must be necessary for the taxpayer to work.

Impact on the Standard Deduction
Taxpayers who are legally blind may be entitled to a higher standard deduction on their tax return.

Gross Income
Certain disability-related payments, Veterans Administration disability benefits, and Supplemental Security Income may be excluded from a taxpayer’s gross income.

For more information on tax credits and benefits available to disabled taxpayers, see Publication 3966, Living and Working with Disabilities, or Publication 907, Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities, available on IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


Blogged with the Flock Browser

Monday, February 2, 2009

Do people who receive SSI have to pay taxes?

Q My son with autism turned 18 this summer and started receiving SSI in August. Does he file a tax return? Do you know what forms he would use? Does SS send out a w-2 of some kind? So far, we haven’t received anything.

A. If your son's only income is SSI, he would not file a tax return. SSI is not considered income for tax purposes. The Social Security Administration does send out tax notices, Form SSA-1099, to people who need to report this on their tax returns. Your son should not receive the SSA-1099, and you don't need to be concerned about filing a tax return. By the same token, recipients of SSI are not eligible for the 2008 tax stimulus payment, nor the 2009 credit for any unreceived stimulus payment.